A Moment in the Twilight Zone

I live on a fairly busy street corner. It's all too common to hear people swearing at each other after tires screech or metal hits metal. And all the car dialogue: - first car honks, then the second car honks back at the first car, and then the first car has to honk again a few more times just to show how irritated it is at the second car for honking back, then of course, the second car...on and on it goes.
Yesterday, I heard, "ssccrrreeeeccchh!!" Then, "crunch-boom!" (Yes, it sounded exactly like that - "crunch-boom.")
I went over to the window and looked down at my corner. Typical sight: one car with its hood smashed in, the other car stopped by the curb. But then, I couldn't believe my eyes. What happened next was utterly unbelievable. A tall young guy with a slim build dressed head-to-toe in Adidas stepped out of the damaged silver two-seater sports car. He walked over to the driver of the car that looked like a Ford or Saturn or four-door whatever, and extended his hand in apology. As he was walking, he said, "I am so sorry about that. I really apologize. Are you alright?" What? Was that even car-English? I was confused. The Adidas guy squatted on the ground to be at eye-ish level with the young African-American male driver who was immediately on his cell phone. The Adidas Guy gave the Other Guy all the necessary paperwork and stayed by his side while the O.G. remained in his car calling everyone he needed to call. After a few minutes, the A.G. calmly walked back to his own car and surveyed the damage. But there was no hair-gripping, hands thrown in the air, or muttering of curse words under his breath while pacing back and forth with hands on hips. None. Just a simple inspection, then back over to the O.G. to see if he could help out. Unbelievable. After the O.G. finally drove off, the A.G. picked up parts of his car from the street and then left. Weird. I'm still confused...

1 Comments:
I'm sure you were in shock but next time you see a guy being that great you need to get his number...for me. Good man is hard to find.
Post a Comment
<< Home